Friday, October 3, 2014

WINDOWS 10: Not a "10" so far, but...

It wasn't long after I had built my previous computer running Windows Vista that Window 7 Beta became available. I downloaded it and gave it a dual-boot test. A few days later, Windows 7 became the only OS on my system. It was that much better than XP or Vista.

Windows 10 Technical Preview is of course a work in progress, so I cannot comment what you will get next year when it goes live, but here is my snap impression.

Would I be willing to dump 8.1 to run 10 preview?

Yes, definitely. After installing Windows 10 from a flash drive I was very pleased to find that the interface I was familiar with in Win 7 was back, with a few enhancements. The start button is back. On desktop computers you get the desktop. Click the start button and a very Win 7ish start menu appears along with a customizable app window. Oh yes, apps have the standard X button to close. Thank you MS

But here is the biggie.

Is there any reason to dump Win 7 for Win 10?

Not at the moment. We just don't know where 10 is going or if the trip is necessary. There is no word on the gaming performance so we'll just have to wait and see.




No comments:

Post a Comment